Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Black Angels

Every once in a while there's a band I encounter that I like so much I was in them. Black Angels goes there for me. They came up in discussion in May at my birthday party, and I tried out the Passover release, which, remarkably, our public library has.

It's When the Levee Breaks meets VU, and I love it. I guess when I was young and liked what I thought of as goth music, this was the kind of darkness I sought.

There isn't much on the disc that hasn't been done before, but it's all done well. Wide fuzztones, driving rhythms, pounding basslines, haunting organ. This is what I want to listen to when I'm driving. This is what I want to listen to when I'm working. This is what I want to listen to when I'm doing the dishes. This is what I want to listen to when I play videogames.

Standout tracks? All of them. Err... one or two? Black Grease and Better Off Alone.

I wish every Wednesday I was going to practice and playing this set.

~Arum
now listening to Unsatisfied by the Replacements

UPDATE

Listen to BLACK GREASE by the Black Angels

1 comment:

The Swan said...

I think 'The First Vietnamese War' is my favorite track.

You're absolutely right. It's an really good record. Grooves and drones and distortion, oh my!!!

Good call, Arum.