Sunday, June 10, 2007

I will run to tie your shoelaces.

So, I'm going through this time in my life where I really can't get enough of public radio. Sometimes it's the BBC, sometimes NPR. Sometimes, I get to hear theater from a traveling show or from this theater in Los Angeles, or recommendations of books I'll always add to my B.I.N.T.R. (Books I Need to Read; clever, I know) even though I would put money on it that I'd never actually get around to reading. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. (Probably.) There's this show on the station that I listen to called Sounds Opinion. Often times, I don't care much for it (but still listen to, for some reason), but sometimes it's amazing. Tonight, the Decemberists were on. I've never cared one way or another for them-- they weren't my favorite but I wouldn't complain if someone put it on. The show brought it to my attention that they've got much more to them than their albums. The live songs that they performed were awesome. Accordion, melodica, banjo... it's just more impressive when it's live, I guess. There's a great Brian Eno cover on the show, also. I'm not generally one for live recordings, but I enjoy this. Anywho, if you want to listen to it, you can do so here. It's an archive of all of the previous shows as well-- there is some good stuff in there if you look through it.

--

Last night, in Azeroth (or Outland, for those of us who were there) we had a great music conversation. First of all, Titanarum (whom I'm just going to call Arum from now on) can rap. I don't know if you knew that-- but he really can. I felt like the spirit of Rev. Run and DMC were here with me, through the powers of Arum. If you see him on a regular basis, (or even not regular, just.. when you see him) you should ask him to rap for you. I mean, that's gonna be my first request if I ever head that direction. There was also some conversation about Raffi. Yes, the children's singer. Yes, I know he writes songs about sandwiches and whales and sometimes god, but he's a damn good songwriter. I don't actively listen to him or anything, but you can't deny his ability to write a catchy song. What else did we talk about? Hm. It matters not, but is marginally interesting. Mostly the part about Arum being a total rapper. Gang-stuh.

Maybe I'll post something a bit more... interesting later. I have a feeling everyone else who posts here already knows far more about music than I do (which is incredibly intimidating). On the positive side, I'll learn a lot, right? Hahaha.

I just put on Mwng, by the Super Furry Animals. (To end the entry with the current playlist, of course.)

5 comments:

Titanarum said...

I got biytches galore, you may have a lot of biytches, but I have much more.

Yes, the culture clash of a nerdy white man singing gansta rap is tirelessly entertaining.

The Swan said...

What's the source / significance of the title "I will run to tie your shoelaces"? It's not the first time I've seen it, and I feel like I'm missing a reference.

Google doesn't help. Fuckers.

SMSorrow said...

I'm assuming it's a misquote of the Brian Eno lyric, "I'll come running to tie your shoes"?

The Swan said...

Right. Eno. Listened at last to the Decemberists edition of Sound Opinions, and they cover "I'll Come Running." Sent me back to Another Green World, which I don't know very well. I've always been a Warm Jets and Tiger Mountain kinda guy.

SMSorrow said...

I loved the first 2 Eno albums for many years (and still do) but in 2002 I discovered the majesty of Another Green World (toward which I'd previously been a bit cold) and have remained a big fan since.

As for the Decemberists, while I've enjoyed their covers of "Up the Junction" and "Wuthering Heights" (Petra sang the latter while still in the band), my favorite was definitely Jenny singing "I'm Sticking with You" in a convincing Moe Tucker.