Monday, June 4, 2007

Silencing the Critics?

A reissue of two early-80s albums by a band in a small midwestern town, on a label known for reissues by SRC, Captain Beefheart, and Emitt Rhodes... it's amazing I hadn't bought it til now.

I knew about Those X-Cleavers from their appearance on the Milwaukee compilation The Great Lost Brew Wave. "Silence the Critics" is definitely not my favorite song, but I've periodically found it stuck in my head. As was inevitable, I grew curious to hear more, especially for $4 including shipping. The CD reissue on One Way includes two albums from 1982 and '84. The production sounds like a cheap imitation of commercial new wave, and some of the ska-tinged moves have aged awkwardly. At the same time, the songwriting is catchy and strong with memorable moments. It's an odd record that definitely sounds a bit dated, but it's also a fascinating and enjoyable view into an era long since passed. Not on par with the Dancing Cigarettes reissue on Gulcher (which is stylistically the closest thing that comes to mind) or the Human Switchboard LP (vaguely similar), but a fun listen with both a saccharine happiness and an odd dark side.

No comments: